Friday, January 1, 2016

3,000 Mile Difference

     When I was 9, my family moved from Portland, Oregon to Tempe, Arizona. My sister Edie, was 7 and it was very difficult for all of us to adjust. This is because of 1. We had been there for my entire life and now we had to leave every one of our close friends and 2. My grandmother and my entire family who we were extremely close to lived only 30 minutes away from where we had. 

     One of the hardest things about moving from Portland was not being there for Christmas at my grandparents house. Every single year everyone in my dad's side of the family would gather at my grandparents house and we would make breakfast, open some presents and around lunch time everyone would go back home for a few hours and we would all get some rest. Since we lived a little farther away, we would stay there and play with my grandfather and some of our presents. Once everyone had returned to my grandparents house, we would continue to open up the rest of the presents. After we were finished with the presents, my uncle would start to make Christmas dinner for the entire family. 
     
     After one year in Arizona my family moved again, this time to Albany, NewYork. Both of these moves were in the middle of the school year which made the move just about twice as hard. Adjusting in the middle of the the year is hard as some would understand, but if you have nice teachers or meet great people who will help you through it, it makes everything a lot easier. But what is the most important is that you have a loving family, and my family would help me with anything and knowing that, you can survive anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment